John has over 40 years’ experience in the financial services industry, specialising in banking and associated regulatory audit and advisory. He began his career at the SARB where he held the position of Senior Assistant General Manager and Joint Head of the Analysis Division. He then joined a big 4 firm as a partner in Financial Services in 2002. He has significant experience in the regulations of both local and foreign of banks and banking groups, including:
- Regulatory audits;
- Training of the regulators of several African countries on topics such as Implementing Basel II and Risk-based Banking Supervision;
- Due-diligence assignments relating to regulatory compliance;
- Banking license applications;
- Issuing reports for securitisation SPVs and commercial paper issuers;
- Assisting Judge John Myburgh in his review of corporate governance in the South African banking sector (SARB request); and
- Other advisory assignments included topics such as Basel II and Basel III, corporate governance, ICAAP, Basel III -Pillar 3, credit risk reporting.
When he resigned from the SARB in 2001, John’s portfolio consisted of 35 local and foreign banks including Standard Bank, FirstRand and Investec.
Significant client experience includes: Citibank–South African Branch, Nedbank, Investec, Standard Chartered Bank –SA, ICICI Bank –SA, Sasfin Bank, HBZ Bank, Albaraka Bank, Finbond Mutual Bank and a large number ofRepresentative offices of foreign banks.
- Bachelor of Commerce & Master of Business Leadership (MBL)
- Chartered Accountant (SA)
- Registered Auditor