George is a Director in BDO Advisory Services.
He has spent over 38 years in the internal audit profession. He began his career with Barclays Bank International Limited in 1979. He was placed on their accelerated training program, which enabled him to gain valuable banking experience. From 1985 to 1990 George served his articles with Price Waterhouse Coopers.
In 1991 he was appointed as the internal auditor of IGI Life where he was exposed to auditing life assurance companies, performing fraud investigations and preparing cases for court review. In 1993 George moved to ABSA Bank Limited where he was responsible for setting up the internal audit function of ABSA Life Limited and ABSA Insurance Company Limited.
He joined Grant Thornton in 1996 where he founded the outsourced internal audit function. He was appointed as a principal in 1999. In 2005 George was appointed as Managing director of Grant Thornton Business Risk Services (Pty) Ltd.
He joined BDO in February 2012 as a Director specialising in risk management, financial services and natural resources as well as internal audit and corporate governance services.
The benefits of his experience are that he brings business knowledge, experience and acumen across many industry sectors. Particularly in Financial Services, Manufacturing, and Health Care.
He has the confidence to interact with senior executives at clients, an ability to develop new products and services, develop and coach partners, managers and operational staff, thorough his understanding of risk management, internal audit and corporate governance.
George performs internal audit and risk management services for the South African and Sub-Saharan market.
- Bachelor of Accounting Sciences (UNISA)
- Certificated Associate of the Institute of Bankers in South Africa (CAIB (SA))
- Fellow of the Institute of Bankers in South Africa (FIB (SA))
- Fellow of the Institute of Internal Auditors in South Africa
- Certified Internal Auditor (CIA (USA))
- Certification in Control Self-Assessment (CCSA (USA))
- Masters in Philosophy (MPhil) with specialisation in Internal Auditing
- PhD in Accounting sciences - Thesis on “An ethnographic account of audit committees’ interaction and related communication to the board”. (In Progress)