George has over 27 years of experience supporting leading organisations to enhance their Internal Audit, Risk Management and Governance processes. He has a particular interest in developing control, risk and governance methods
In 2016 he obtained a Masters of Philosophy (MPhil) degree specialising in Internal Auditing. This degree was obtained from the University of Pretoria in co-operation with the Gordon Institute of Business Science (GIBS) and Erasmus School of Accounting and Assurance (ESAA) in the Netherlands. His Masters dissertation on audit committees ‘communication on internal audit to boards of directors has created much interest in the South African context.
George specialises in mining and financial services and amongst many others is the Internal Audit Director of:
- Metorex (Pty) Ltd, Metorex is an established mid-tier mining Group, uniquely positioned in the Southern African base metals mining industry as a pure copper and cobalt investment
- Sentula Mining Ltd. Sentula is a diversified mining company with an established footprint across the African continent.
- Pan African Resources PLC. Pan African and its subsidiaries are a South African based gold mining group
- 4. GIC Re South Africa Ltd. GIC is an African Reinsurer.
Before joining BDO in 2012, his previous experience included forming the outsourced internal audit function at Grant Thornton where he was appointed as a principal in 1999. In 2005, George was appointed as Managing director of Grant Thornton Business Risk Services (Pty) Ltd.
George also headed up their Internal Audit at ABSA Bank and performed reviews over all their processes.
- BCompt (UNISA)
- CCSA (USA)
- CIA (USA)
- Masters in Internal Auditing MPhil (University of Pretoria)
George is a member of the a number of professional bodies including the Institute of Internal Auditors in South Africa, the Institute of Directors, and Institute of Bankers of South Africa.