As Head of Economic Incentives, Mark joined BDO to establish and build the services supporting various Economic Development Incentives (EDI) to clients, which may include providing limited assurance on incentive claims.
Specialising in Government Grants and Incentives, Mark’s advisory experience in this area formed shape with the introduction of the of the Motor Industry Development Programme in 1995. With over 26 years of experience at KPMG across a number of sectors in Audit, Tax and Advisory and the National Office, his expertise includes:
- Attracting Foreign Direct Investment into Southern Africa.
- Government grants and incentives, specifically in the automotive sector having obtained grants in excess of R75 billion for clients.
- Location analyses and incentive feasibilities for prospective expansion projects.
- Extensive negotiations with the relevant government authorities – Central Banks and Development Agencies.
- Exposure to a range of markets such as Brazil, Germany, Ireland, Kosovo, Malawi, Mozambique, Netherlands, United Kingdom, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
- Strong relationships spanning over 20 years with the International Trade Administration Commission (ITAC) and the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI).
- Extensive experience in the treasury function of companies where assurance is given to the Financial Surveillance Department of the South African Reserve Bank pertaining to undertakings (imports & exports) and services: management, license, royalties and technical fees.
- Experience in waste management specifically specialising in tyre recycling.
His sector expertise includes:
Aquaculture, Automotive, Bio-fuels, Consumer Markets, Financial Services, Information and Communications Technology, Pharmaceutical, Manufacturing, Mining, Textiles, Tourism