BDO Cyber and Forensics Lab Services
Cybercrime is a threat that is permeating the business world at a rapid rate, with more and more criminals mastering the trade. Cyber-attacks that threaten organisations continue to escalate together with exorbitant penalties for failing to prevent these. Determining the best approach to securing your organisation can make the difference between success or damage to your organisations reputation and well-being. As you look to partner with a service provider that promises to secure your organisation’s information assets, it is important to ensure that the services you are receiving help drive your business strategies more securely and enable you to securely adapt as your business and risks change. BDO Cyber and Forensic Lab provides a host of services, each applicable at different stages of your organisations cyber maturity. Proudly innovative and backed with a highly skilled team of cyber consultants ranging from forensic investigators, data scientists, analysts, ethical hackers, business intelligence experts, IT auditors, change management experts and cutting edge forensic analytics technologies make BDO Cyber and Forensic Lab a superior partner of choice offering the following services:
- Education: In an effort to combat cyber-crime BDO Cyber and Forensics Lab encourages organizational cyber awareness training programs as another weapon of defense against business crime. From basic courses aimed at general staff to advanced cyber courses targeting IT departments, our training curricula are certain to provide the most suitable educational defense against cybercrime.
- Joint Conferencing: Informing your clients of the dangers and devastation caused by cyber threats is important to us. BDO have a wide range of local and international speakers that can handle many topics on Cyber and related issues. BDO could jointly hold informative cyber awareness conferences as well as conferences that deal with specific relevant cyber issues.
- Vulnerability Assessments and Penetration Tests: Subjected to the assumption that attack & penetration testing as a commodity service is one of the most consumed services by organizations today, BDO Cyber and Forensics Lab makes use of its vast experience and that of its partners in both applicative and infrastructure testing. Through this process we build up our clients IT infra-structure to be in a position to mitigate as much as possible the risk of cyber threats. Our services include:
- Cyber Risk Management: BDO Cyber Lab assists clients efficiently navigate the cyber risk landscape by covering all the fundamental bases of a company’s information security management system. Drawing on our depth of experience, we tailor our services to suit the cyber risk management needs of each client.
- IT Governance, Risk and Compliance Assessments: Our IT GRC assessments are fully aligned to ISO 27001:2013, COBIT and ITIL, international standards governing the policies, procedures and guidelines around protecting information assets used throughout the organisation. At BDO we understand frameworks, methodologies and implementation strategies that deliver optimum outcomes to companies.
- Managed Services: The proposed security services offer the best possible opportunity to identify and eliminate threats, both from within the organization and from without. As new vulnerabilities are identified by researchers, infrastructures are tested for these, with remediation suggestions where available. Our continued managed service include: new risk notifications; external vulnerability scan every 14 days; internal vulnerability scan every 90 days; external penetration testing twice per year; internal penetration testing twice per year; training once per year; forensic audit upon detection of breach and ongoing consultation services.
- Personal Information Security Assessments: Information is a valuable asset and resource to any organisation. The POPI Act sets out rules regarding the managing, handling and utilisation of a particular form of information, i.e. ‘personal data’. Our scope of Personal Information Management Services aims to identify organisations’ Protection of Personal Information (POPI) Act (no 4 of 2013) readiness gaps and build their collective competence in addressing these risks efficiently and effectively.
- Forensic Investigations: The BDO Cyber Lab has developed a multi-disciplinary forensic investigative methodology that is in accordance with lawful forensic investigation standards and practices as set out by the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE) and Information System Audit and Control Association (ISACA). Our team includes: Forensic Criminal Investigators; Advanced forensic analysts and data specialists; Forensic Accountants and Criminal Intelligence Analysts.
- Digital Forensic Investigations: As a leader in digital forensics, BDO experts specialise in the forensic retrieval of data from cell phones and other mobile devices in a manner that preserves the evidence under forensically sound conditions and present it with the integrity of the data intact. This is to ensure that it is court-admissible. Additionally, we are able to perform advanced analyses such as chip-off forensic extractions, spyware detection to determine if surveillance software is installed on a device, operating system and application artefact recovery (Internet history, emails, tweets, etc.), and localisation services to determine where a phone has been.
- Analytics: As IT systems evolve, the risk of fraudulent or erroneous manipulation of business’s data increases. Forensic data analytical services provide you with reasonable assurance that your organisation’s data is complete, accurate, reliable and valid. Our offering extends from salaries and payroll analysis; procurement analysis and review, journal entry testing; sales analysis; accounts receivable and accounts payable analysis. Our expert team of data scientists are responsible for data integrity, data mining, data cleansing, data migration and data management. Having developed its very own cutting edge analytics platform, we offer clients immediate access to: procurement reviews solutions, revenue enhancement and risk management solutions, asset depreciation reviews, transactional and claim segmentation solutions as well as continuous monitoring solutions.
Experienced in developing cyber strategies with clients, our services provide a range of solutions equipping organisations to be cyber-ready by providing clients with cyber defense solutions to help prepare for and protect against fraud and cyber-warfare. Our team of professionals are experienced in evaluating your organization’s infrastructure and operations, recommending remedial strategies, programs and processes and if required, executing on the remedial steps alongside with the client.
BDO's global cybersecurity practice
As a business grows, information sharing grows along with it – with vendors, contractors, partners, and clients. And every one of these digital relationships presents a new set of cyber vulnerabilities. The need for security and the way in which it is implemented must be balanced, thoughtfully, against the needs of an organisation to operate effectively, and to actively pursue its future goals. While it is impossible to eliminate all risk of a cyber attack, a well-designed pro-active cyber security program will minimise the negative impact on both short- and long-term business goals.
BDO’s Global Cybersecurity practice is comprised of professionals from a diverse range of backgrounds, including experienced IT, operations, and data privacy consultants, as well as forensic technology, business advisory, and accounting practitioners. We are built to provide comprehensive, customised services for each client, focusing on your specific operating model, technical demands, regulatory environment, and industry dynamics. Whether it’s financial services, healthcare, retail, natural resources, or any other industry – we understand your needs.
Our global footprint extends to every corner of the globe and so does cyber crime. Let us help your organisation, wherever you are, to mitigate the cyber risks you’re facing.
Taking cybersecurity one step further: cyber defence
What is the difference between cybersecurity and cyber defence? How can organisations justify establishing the capabilities and appropriate level of maturity in their security operations and establishing a proper defensive posture?
In our white paper 'The Need for a More Proactive Cyber Defence' Danny Solomon, BDO Israel's Head of International Consulting explains BDO's new cybersecurity doctrine that helps organisations adopt a proactive, cyber defence posture.
View the animated video below and discover how a cyber defence strategy can keep your organisation operational during a cyber crisis.